Students are considered for federal and institutional loans during the financial aid application process. Loans for which they are eligible are automatically included in aid awards.
Graduate Students/Parents may apply for federal PLUS loans. Grad students should give borrowing preference to Direct/Ford Loans, due to the lower interest rate. For more information, please visit www.smith.edu/finaid/plus.php.
- Loans are automatically deemed accepted unless declined.
- Declinations should be submitted to this office promptly, preferably via email.
- If accepting, time-sensitive disbursement requirements may apply (see below).
- All 1-st time borrowers of any loan type will have requirements.
- Typically, only repeat borrowers of Smith loans will have requirements.
- Loan requirements can be viewed and monitored via BannerWeb.
- Parents may not complete requirements on behalf of students.
- Online requirements should be done AFTER loans are offered via award letter.
- Requirements must be satisfied BEFORE term due dates (Aug. 10 for fall)
Direct/Ford Loans (1st-time borrowers only):
Perkins Loans (1st-time borrowers only):
- Perkins Entrance Counseling at www.mappingyourfuture.org
- Master Promissory Note* (enclosed with award letter; sign, date and return)
Smith Loans (complete and return all documents sent to you):
- Master Promissory Note* (enclosed with award letter - 1st time borrowers only)
- TILA Loan Disclosure (enclosed with award letter - required for each loan)
- Self-certification Form (enclosed with award letter - required for each loan)
* The Master Promissory Note (MPN) must be completed and returned. Facsimilies are NOT accepted.
If studying abroad: The MPN should be returned before departing the country. If departing before receipt of the award letter, the party in charge of your mail should mail the MPN to you at your study abroad address immediately.
Please send inquiries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct non-loan questions to email@example.com.
Last revised: 03/12/2012