Benefits From Applying
Skills Acquired Through Applying
Some of the invaluable life skills acquired during the fellowships application process:
- Application layout.
- Being articulate about and able to defend one's own beliefs and views.
- Goal defining and career planning.
- Community service.
- Current affairs.
- Developing a life story with one's background leading to the fellowship application that connects to one's goals to improve society.
- Developing well-informed opinions.
- Getting to know professors to the point that they know you well enough to write references for you.
- Impeccable grammar.
- Initiative, resourcefulness, perseverance.
- Recommendation letter procurement.
- Responsibility, time management and maturity.
- Resume composition.
- Self-reflection leading to self-knowledge.
- Speaking comfortably with adults as an adult.
- Speaking to groups.
- The application-essay or grant-writing genre including personal statements, intellectual biographies, and project, program and academic proposals.