Recent Prize Winners
2015 Prizes for Poetry
Academy of American Poets Poetry Prize
Awarded for the best poem or group of poems by an undergraduate.
- Jamie Samdahl '15, "The Dances I Do with Pills"
Elizabeth Babcock Poetry Prize
Awarded for the best poem by an undergraduate. Competition is not open to those who have already won the prize, nor may the poem have been printed previously.
- Taylor Marks '15, "Tying a Nymph Fly"
Ethel Olin Corbin Prize
Awarded for the best original poem (preferably blank verse, sonnet or ballad) or informal essay by an undergraduate.
- Gabrielle Wolinski '16, "In the Kitchen"
Ruth Forbes Eliot Prize
Awarded for the best poem submitted by a first-year or sophomore.
- Riley Boeth '17, "Miscarriage"
Rosemary Thomas Poetry Prize
Awarded for the best poem or group of poems.
- Stefana Breitwieser '15, "The Mae Series"
- Hannah Bernhard '16J, "God in the Water"
Eleanor Cederstrom Prize
Awarded for the best poem by an undergraduate, written in a traditional verse form.
- Madison Chafin '17J, "The Origin"
2015 Prizes for Fiction
Gertrude Posner Spencer Prize
Awarded for excellence in writing fiction prose.
- Ruth Allard, AC, "North Woods Tragedy"
James T. and Ellen M. Hatfield Memorial Prize
Awarded to a senior majoring in English for the best short story.
- Mary Jordan Hill '15, "The Fox Hole"
2015 Prizes for Nonfiction
Gertrude Posner Spencer Prize
Awarded for excellence in writing nonfiction prose.
- Ruth Allard, AC, "The Secret Life of the Spotted Salamander"
- "Melissa Hoffman '16J, "Reluctant Prophet: Eliot's Critique of Modern Humanity in The Waste Land"
Norma M. Leas Memorial Prize
Awarded to a graduating English major for excellence in written English.
- Amanda Tornatore '15J, "Philomela's Mouth and the Perversion of Truth"
- Maggie Wack '15, "Poetry and Ritualized Mourning in Lycidas"
- Grace Kim '15, "Finding Harmony in Opposing Motions and Movements in Milton's Comus"
2015 Prizes for Critical Prose
Emogene Mahoney Memorial Prize
Awarded for the best essay on a literary subject written by a first-year student
- Emily Farquhar '18, "Intersections of Sex, Gender, and Sexuality: The Radicalesbians"
- Emma Pacchiana '18, "'Holy, holy, holy': Biblical Imagery in Sylvia Plath's 'Ariel'"
Elizabeth Drew Essay Prize
Awarded for the best classroom essay on a literary subject submitted by an undergraduate to a class taught by a member of the English department.
- Gavriella Levy Haskell '15, "Character and Distinctive Voice in Waugh"
- Sage Wallund '18, "Swift's 'The Lady's Dressing Room'"
- Brittany Collins '18, "Death through the Lens of Dickinson"
Mrs. Elizabeth Montagu Prize
Awarded for the best essay on a literary subject concerning women.
- Tanvi Kapoor '17, "Local as Global? The Space of Quadrille in Jenna Brinta Breeze's The Fifth Figure"
Elizabeth Drew Memorial Prizes
Awarded for the best honors thesis in English
- Shalini Abayasekara '15, "From Fall to Leap: Journeys of Faith in the Works of C.S. Lewis"
- Josephpina Lee '15, "Korean American Poetry Since 2002: Reconfigurations of Feminism, Race and Diaspora through Ethnic Abstraction"
Helen Kate Furness Prize
Awarded for the best essay on a Shakespearean theme prepared in courses or seminars and recommended by the instructors of such courses or seminars. Honors theses are not eligible.
- Mia Ruf '15, "Reality and Unreality in I Henry IV: Prince Hal's Reformation and Bloom's Falstaff"
Mary Augusta Jordan Prize
Awarded for the most original work in prose or verse by a senior.
- Hannah Young '15, "My Body Takes Off and Flies, Often Times Without Me""
2015 Departmental Prizes
Clara French Memorial Prize
Awarded to a graduating English major who has advanced further in the study of English language and literature.
- Elizabeth Makishima '15
- Ivy Croteau '15
Vernon Harward Prize
Awarded for the best student scholar of Chaucer.
- Gwendolyn Baltera '16
- Hannah Bernhard '16J
Elizabeth Wanning Harries Prize
Awarded to a graduating Ada Comstock scholar who has shown academic distinction in the study of literature in any language.
- Ingrid Brioso-Rieumont, '15AC