Requirements for the Major
The major requires a total of 12 courses (or the equivalent*):
- PHY 117 Introductory Physics I
- MTH 111 Calculus 1 and 112 Calculus II, or MTH 114 Calculus: Differential Equations and Power Series (or equivalent)
- MTH 212 Calculus III (a prerequisite to PHY 210)
- PHY 210 Mathematical Methods of Physical Sciences and Engineering
Two 300-level (or higher) engineering courses
- EGR 100 Engineering for Everyone
- EGR 110 Fundamental Engineering Principles
- EGR 220 Engineering Circuit Theory
- EGR 270 Engineering Mechanics
- EGR 290 Engineering Thermodynamics
*Course substitutions require approval of the adviser and director of engineering.
Statement of Focus
A statement of focus is required for the major. The statement details the student's choice of approximately six additional courses that provide a coherent context for the major in engineering arts, both in terms of her understanding of engineering in a broader liberal arts context and in terms of her educational objectives.
The bachelor of arts in engineering degree is not accredited by any commission of ABET.
Students interested in obtaining an accredited engineering degree should pursue the bachelor of science in engineering science.