Health & Safety
All participants must sign that they understand and agree to follow the procedures outlined in the safety plan below:
General liability is required for everyone renting space at Smith College, covering the actual dates and times of the event(s). All clients must provide a Certificate of Insurance documenting coverage before the program is permitted on campus.
Insurance requirements (PDF)
Campus Police are available 24 hours, 7 days a week. The parking office is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, at 126 West Street.
For any fire, police or medical emergency, call Campus Police immediately:
- 800 from any on-campus phone
- 413-585-2490 from a cell phone or off campus
- In an emergency during a power outage, call the dispatch desk at 413-538-2304
- 24-hour emergency blue phones, marked by blue lights, are prominently located throughout the campus and are activated by pushing the "talk" button. Activating the phone connects you immediately to Campus Police and dispatches police officers to that location. Emergency phones should not be used in non-emergency situations.
Call 2490 from an on-campus phone or 413-585-2490 from a cell phone or off campus.
Smith College does not maintain a health center during summer months. Call Campus Police at 413-585-2490 if you or anyone needs an ambulance. Participants are responsible for all applicable fees for services received.
Cooley-Dickinson Hospital is the closest hospital, 1.5 miles north of the college on Route 9, on the left:
30 Locust Street (Route 9)
Northampton, MA 01061
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Closest Urgent Care Center
The closest clinic is OnCall Urgent Care Center, two blocks north of the hospital, on the right.
6 Hatfield Street
Northampton, MA 01060
Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–9 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Closed July 4
Smith student residences must be kept locked at all times. Most academic and administrative buildings are open during business and class hours and are locked each night on a regular schedule. The athletic complex is only open during posted hours to those with preauthorized OneCards. We ask everyone to:
- Take responsibility for keeping everyone and everything safe. Keep exterior doors of campus houses locked. This is the best way to protect yourself and your belongings. Do not prop open doors or allow them to remain propped open if you find them that way.
- Carry your room key and your Smith OneCard with you at all times, and promptly report the loss of either item to your conference director.
- Question anyone seeking admission to your house. Participants should always come down to the first floor to meet guests. Do not allow any visitors into your house unescorted.
- Cooking is not allowed in any residence house other than that done by Smith College Dining Services. House kitchenettes are available for use, but the commercial kitchens and dining rooms remain locked.
- Candles and open flames are prohibited at all times, in all locations.