Sponsoring & Endorsing Events
Smith College departments often receive requests from external individuals or groups to hold an event on campus. These requests usually include free or reduced fees for space.
Smith College recognizes two ways to facilitate these events: sponsoring an event, or endorsing an event. Read below to see what responsibilities your department will assume when either sponsoring or endorsing an event.
A sponsored event is one in which a Smith department and an external organization actively plan, develop and manage an event together. Such events are considered Smith events for purposes of fees, publicity, services and staff support.
For sponsored events, departments must:
- Contact the Events Management Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-585-2179)for event planning information and requirements (for example: date consultation, liability insurance requirements, estimated costs and publicity procedures).
- Identify Smith College and the external organization as sponsors of the event in all advertising and promotional materials.
External organizations that have scheduled events and are already working directly with the Events Management Office may not attain sponsorship at a later date to reduce or waive fees.
An endorsed event is one in which a Smith department is not involved in determining program content, management or publicity, but does facilitate requests for dates and spaces for an external organization.
For endorsed events, departments must:
- Have the department chair email email@example.com, stating that the event is being endorsed by the department.
- Ensure that the external individual/group complies with all rules and policies pertaining to external organizations.
The following conditions apply:
- Insurance: Liability insurance requirements for external visitors will remain in effect.
- Fees: While there are no rental fees, additional charges for custodial or other services may apply. Departments determine if they will absorb event fees or if the external group will be charged.
- Use of Smith College name: The following language must be used on one line for any written publicity: "[Venue] at Smith College," e.g. "John M. Greene Hall at Smith College" or "Sage Hall at Smith College."
For ALL Sponsored and Endorsed Events
- Identify a department contact(s) to serve as the link between the college and the external organization and between the department and the Events Management Office; serve as the on-site coordinator at the event.
- Fill out the Required Event Information Form (DOC) and submit to the Events Management Office, either electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via the mail. This will allow the EMO to generate a contract and identify responsible parties.
- Submit a space request using 25Live, the online request form, indicating in the comments section if this event is sponsored or endorsed.
- Include resources, services, publicity, staff, equipment and technical needs in 25Live.
External organizations that have scheduled events and are already working directly with the Events Management Office may NOT attain sponsorship at a later date to reduce or waive fees.