Contact Us
Planning Tools
For the Smith Community
For External Organizations and Individuals
Smith College Conference Center
Reserve a Space
Publicize an Event
Smith College Calendar
Host Your Summer Program at Smith
For the Smith Community

Related Link


These policies and procedures have been established by the Events Management Office. Questions should be directed to the Events Management Office at extension 2669.

Requests for Space

Requests for space should be made using the space request form; click "Make a Request" on the online calendar; view Locations/By Date to determine availability.

Student Use of Space

Students must contact the student scheduling coordinator (extension 4963) for instructions. In addition, please review the Office of Student Engagement's event planning resources.

Staff/Faculty Use of Space

College-Related Business

Staff and faculty should use the online calendar to request space for college events. These events are generally not subject to rental fees. Staff and faculty must submit an Event Service Request form (ESR) at least two weeks before an event in order to receive publicity and any other services, including multimedia equipment and/or special setups. Staff and faculty who want an event publicized within the Smith College or Five College communities should submit their requests on the online ESR. Please note the appropriate deadlines for submission of such material.

Private Functions

Members of the Smith College community may use campus spaces for private or personal events (parties, wedding showers, etc.). Fees may apply and insurance may be required.


Smith employees who are members of local organizations or clubs may reserve campus space for meetings, subject to approval by the Events Management Office, which will determine fees and insurance requirements.

Staff/Faculty Sponsorship and Endorsement

If a department wishes to sponsor an external group on campus, the rules pertaining to external organization fees and insurance requirements apply. If a department formally sponsors an external group, the department becomes responsible for all direct costs incurred. In both cases, the requestor must identify a department contact to serve as the link between the college and the external organization; initiate the space reservation and oversee the event; complete an Event Service Request form (ESR) for services, equipment and technical needs; and serve as the on-site contact at the event. The EMO events coordinator will advise on any insurance requirements. Please also see Sponsoring & Endorsing Events.

Departmental Space

Conference rooms, lounges and lunchrooms are maintained by individual departments and cannot be requested in the online calendar. Some departmental spaces are subject to rules defined by the individual departments housed within those buildings.

During Commencement & Reunion

All requests for use of space during Commencement/reunion and all-reunion weekends (Thursday through Sunday each week) require the approval of both the Alumnae Association of Smith College and the Events Management Office. Priority for use of all college spaces will be given to Commencement and reunion events so that all spaces are available for those activities and those weekends.

Summer Programs

Individuals and organizations interested in hosting residential or nonresidential summer programs should contact the summer programs administrator at extension 2892 or e-mail summer@smith.edu as soon as possible, preferably by February 1, to plan the program. Please contact the summer programs administrator to discuss residential and dining needs, requirements for meeting space, fees, insurance, recreational activities and a tour of available facilities.

Summer at Smith >

Botanic Gardens

Anyone wishing to use one of the gardens on campus for wedding ceremonies, receptions and/or photographs must contact the Events Management Office (extension 2179), to request a reservation. Comprehensive General Liability (CGL) insurance is required.

Botanic Garden Wedding and Wedding Photo Policy >

Insurance Requirements

Faculty and staff requesting use of campus space for functions that are not related to regular college business must meet the college's insurance requirements. Contact the EMO events coordinator (extension 2179).

Americans With Disabilities Act

The Americans With Disabilities Act (Public Law 101:336) requires that activities and events that are open to the public be conducted in such a way as to not discriminate against those with disabilities. The types of activities and events that are covered by this law include theatre performances, concerts, lectures, sporting events and exhibitions. The Events Management Office will assist in locating an accessible space. Organizers of events are responsible for contacting the Office of Disability Services (extension 2071) for all special needs requests. Fees may apply.