Smith College Admission Academics Student Life About Smith news Offices
Mission Statement
Office Staff and Hours
Forms and Guidelines
Departmental Honors
Student Designed Majors and Minors
Smith Scholars
Graduation Requirements
For First-Year Students
For Sophomores
For Juniors
For Seniors
For Ada Comstock Scholars
Nutritional Information



Academic work for the semester may not be completed after the date of withdrawal. Exceptions in rare cases may be permitted by the class dean in coordination with Health Services.

A student who has withdrawn from the college may not:

Residential students who withdraw must:

International students who withdraw should also check with the Associate Dean for International Students and Student Affairs for regulations pertaining to them and questions about visas.

Please inquire at the Office of Student Financial Services (413) 585-2530.

Students receiving financial assistance through the College should consult with the Office of Student Financial Services concerning the relationship between a withdrawal and your financial aid.


A student who has withdrawn from Smith College may request readmission by  March 1 for September readmission and November 1 for January readmission. Normally, students who have withdrawn from the college must be away for at least one full semester. A Readmission form may be obtained from the Registrar's Office.

The Administrative Board acts on all applications for readmission, taking into account the applicant's Smith record, subsequent academic work, and information provided on the application itself. The Board may require an applicant to meet with the class dean and/or the associate director of the Health Services before making a decision.

A student who withdrew for reasons of health must have a full report from a health care provider(s) who treated her while away from the college sent to the Director of the Health Services. Medical clearance by the Health Services is necessary before the readmission will be considered by the Administrative Board. A new health form will be required for any student away from Smith College for more than one year.

A student who has completed academic work elsewhere while withdrawn must arrange for an official transcript to be sent to Smith from the Registrar's Office of the other institution. Transfer credit will be evaluated at the time of readmission.

Once a student has been readmitted to the college, a housing form will be sent to her from the Registrar's Office. This form should be completed and promptly returned to the Registrar's Office along with a $100 general deposit.

DirectoryCalendarCampus MapVirtual TourContact UsSite A-Z