Mandatory State Motor Vehicle Registration
In accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 3M, every non-Massachusetts resident enrolled as a student at a school or college in the Commonwealth who operates a motor vehicle registered in another state or country during any period beginning on September 1 of any year and ending on August 31 of the following year, must file on a form approved by the registrar of motor vehicles, a signed statement that provides the following:
- registration number and make of the motor vehicle and the state or country of registration
- name and address of the owner
- names and addresses of all insurers providing liability insurance covering operation of the motor vehicle
- legal residence of the non-resident and her/his residence while attending such school or college
- name and address of the school or college which she/he is attending
Any non-resident who fails to comply with the provisions of this law shall be punished by a fine of not more than $50.
Smith College students may complete the form and obtain a decal from the Registry of Motor Vehicles at the Campus Police Department, 126 West Street. There is no fee for the decal.