A jury awards monetary prizes for outstanding writing related to art seen at the Smith College Museum of Art. Writing may take any form including a thesis, essay or poetry.
You must include a cover sheet with your name, class year, campus address, email, and phone. Do not include your name in a header on the pages of your submission. If the work was written for a class, include the description of the assignment. Send your submission in a MS Word document format (docx) with your last name as title.
Send submissions to email@example.com
All entries must be received by Monday, May 2, 2016.
For more information please contact 413.585.2677
The Tryon Prizes are named for Dwight W. Tryon, painter, professor of art at Smith College from 1886 to 1923, and benefactor of the Smith College Museum of Art (SCMA). The Tryon Prize is endowed by members of SCMA’s Visiting Committee.
Tryon Prize Awards for Writing
Candace Kang '15
- Formation of Smith College Museum of Art Collection & Relationship with Department Stores
Emma Mooney '16
- Life Through a Scrim: Lady with Cello and the Role of Women in Victorian America
Molly Grover AC2015
- Nayarit Womanhood: How Much Can a Single Figure Reveal?
Katherine Trudeau, '14
- Miss Representation: Jaune Quick-to-See-Smith's Push Against Expectations
Jamie Samdahl ’15
- June(a poem after Christ of the Incas by Georges Henri Rouault)
Anna Mokros ‘13 & Shama Rahman ’13
- Introducing a Portrait Gallery to Smith College Museum of Art
Susan Liang, ’13
- Being Contemporary: The Contemporaneity of Contemporary Chinese Art
Vanessa Brewster AC
- Painted Words (poetry)
Margaret Kurkoski ’12
- Pieces of the Past: Romanization in the House of Cilicia
Amy Lam ’12
- Daily Leisure (painting by Zou Li) & The Maple Leaf (poem by Han Cuiping)
Erin Kelly AC
- Schoolteacher, The Pear Tree, and Charcoal Ghost (poetry)
- Second Prize
Phoebe Harris ’11
- Milk and Water
Alessandra Amin ’12
- Instabilities of Form, Norm: Subjectivity in Mary Bauermeister’s Joie et Nuit
Emily Casey '09
- ‘A fully-developed womanhood’: the collecting of fine art and a woman's education at Smith College,1875-1910.
Katrina Greene ’08
- Constructing a Tragedy: Geometric Analysis of the Daughter of Jephthah
Marja van der Loo ’08
- The Girl Next Door: The Quest for Privacy in Seventeenth-Century Dutch Homes
Rebecca Mueller ’08
- The Death of J.P. Morgan
No entries were selected for an award.
Carolyn Creedon AC
- Evensong, The Real Apple, Hillyer Blues, Inside and Outside (poetry)
Debra Klein ‘07
- Echo Lake, Franconia Mountains, New Hampshire: Albert Bierstadt's Vision of Harmony and Balance
Sharon Davenport AC
- Performing Modernity: La Table
Maeve Montalvo ‘07
- An Echoing Gaze and Wordless Song: Form as Narrative in Albert Bierstadt's Echo Lake
Rachel Fendler ‘04
- Method and Meaning in ‘Minkisi Minkondi’
Morgan Beucler ‘04
- Flat-bottomed Aryballos
Rebecca Alexander ‘04
- Do-Ho Suh and Yinka Shonibare: Exploring the Ambiguities of ‘Home’