A jury awards monetary prizes for installation, performance, video, sound, digital, internet and interactive art. (Photography is not eligible.) Jurors seek a high level of artistic expression and presentation.
You may enter only one work. Document the work with up to 5 images (jpg) and/or up to 5 minutes of video or audio.
You must also submit:
1) A cover sheet with your name, class year, campus address, email, phone, and title of work.
2) A statement describing the concept and development of the work and if it was influenced by art seen at the Smith College Museum of Art.
3) If the work was created for a class, you must include a description of the assignment.
Send submissions to email@example.com
All entries must be received by Friday, April 28, 2017.
For more information please contact 413.585.2677
The Tryon Prizes are named for Dwight W. Tryon, painter, professor of art at Smith College from 1886 to 1923, and benefactor of the Smith College Museum of Art (SCMA). The Tryon Prize is endowed by members of SCMA’s Visiting Committee.
Tryon Prize for Art Recipients
The Prize was awarded equally among:
Cherylynn Lima '18
- The Wolfing Game Trailer (Gaming, Animation)
Baillie Vensel '16
- Revolts of Being (Installation, Video, Performance)
Arabia Simeon '19
- A Rose That Grew from Concrete (Animation)
Freda Epum '15
- Wet Cloud Series (video, installation, performance)
Diana Mutino '15
- Stepping In (digital photography)
Laura Li '17
- Tunnel (installation)
Marta Rudolph, AC '14J
- A Quercus Tale (site-specific installation)
Izabel Nielsen, '14
- 131 Hours (video)
Emma Sisson, '16
- Slice of Life (animation)
Yingying Deng. '16
- The Hive (installation)
Sarah Meikle, AC
- Inside Out: the insecurity project (installation/website/audio)
Sofia Sanchez ‘12J
- Open Those Eyes (performance)
Esther Kwon ’12
- Lost (digital portrait series)
Kendyll Gage-Ripa ’12
- Face (social media/installation)
Lucia Carroll ’11
- Memorial (video/installation)
Alix Korn ‘11
- Body Memory (video/performance)
Ellen Feiss ‘10
- 34 Slides of Unknowable Places: A Lesson from the Tappan Collection
Jennifer Sochin Connor AC
- Trilogy (installation)
No entries were selected for an award.
Kika Gilbert ’08 (digital art)
Lila Dodge ‘09 & Rose Baldwin ‘09
- Tendency, Intention, Tendency, Intention (video/performance)
Kelsey Siepser ‘07
- Eleusis (video)
Abby Walton ’07
- Vertigo (installation)
Tryon Prize for Art established in 2007.